This past weekend turned out to be a productive, fun, and very tiring weekend. We went to construct our pole barn in the back yard and this time the entire family went. Nataleigh wanted to do a little swimming and I promised her we would go play at the beach if she went and helped out a little. We headed over Friday morning with the intent of completing a few tasks:
- Layout post locations
- Dig and set posts
- Putting up trusses
- Run network cable inside house
We arrived to see materials for the barn located exactly where the barn was going to be constructed. So the first hour was spent moving all the materials out of the way. Next, we drug a line to mark the side property line and tightened the line that already existed in the back. This gave us the ability to get a rough reference of our starting points. From there, I placed batter boards for dragging strings. We verified our 24 feet for the corners and that we were square by checking our diagonals.
Saturday morning I made it to the house about 5:00. I finished digging the six holes about 2 hours later. It was hot!! At this point, because the hardware store did not deliver the concrete I needed, I had to make two trips to haul the 1,440 pounds of concrete necessary for setting the posts. Stephanie and Nataleigh made it about this time and we started setting in posts. This process went pretty well. However, by the time the third post was finished, I had to take a break.
We came back in the afternoon and finished the final three posts. Prior to that we got in a good swim. Stephanie went to pick up some stuff from the house and found a ruptured garden hose before we swam. A little dirt had been washed away, but nothing significant.
Sunday morning the final task was topping the posts and ensuring they were level. String was drug between each corner and a line level used. The drawing showed a max pole height of 10 feet. The front right corner is 10 feet. With the slope of the yard the front left post is about 9’6″ inches. So it is relatively flat. I like the idea of it not being perfectly flat to help with water drainage. We do live down hill and I am sure with heavy enough of a rain there will be runoff from uphill neighbors. We don’t want a swimming pool in the back yard.
I was also able to get the network cable ran in the house. The goal was creating an easy way for adding an access point in the hallway and also have a physical connection available in the den. We have a location where equipment can be placed in the house that will be out of the way, but will also not necessarily be the easiest to access. I am also allowed to telework, so if I ever decide to get a small desk for my laptops the physical line will give a connection point for computers.
In the end, we did not get everything done that I wanted. But we worked hard and I think everyone had a decent time. Nataleigh said she enjoyed herself and is looking forward to when we can go hang out without us having to work. I know there will always be some work to be done, but the goal will be to play more than we work.